Nylon 12CF 3D Printing Material
Print 3D parts lighter than metal but just as strong
Nylon 12CF extends the properties of Nylon 12 through the addition of chopped carbon fibre. Comprising 35% of the material weight, carbon fibre gives Nylon 12CF the highest stiffness to weight ratio of any FDM material currently available, and makes it a suitable alternative to aluminium or metal alloy in situations where these might otherwise be used in the production process.
Aligning the carbon fibre threads with the direction of print affords major strength improvements on the XY axis, while maintaining similar properties on the Z axis to those experienced when using Nylon 12. It can produce parts in a layer thickness of 0.254mm (0.010in).
It is compatible with Stratasys’ SR-110 support material. Aside from areas with complex internal geometry, for which box supports are recommended, parts can be built using traditional, easily-removed sparse or basic supports.
Key benefits include
- Reduced compensation requirement when metal forming due to increased stiffness
- Produced parts are lighter than traditional metal equivalents, so they reduce weight and mass on fixtures
- Parts have a higher uniaxial stiffness than injection moulded parts of the same material
- Nylon 12CF has a high melting temperature of 223 degrees Celsius (433 degrees Fahrenheit) for use in demanding environments
- Despite the unique nature of the material, no special skills are required for its use or post-production finishing
Use case scenarios
- Creating production rigs where this was previously impossible due to material flexibility
- Production of drill guides which now retain their shape for a truer, more reliable alignment
- Replacing parts that would otherwise be manufactured using metal, such as brackets, jig fixtures and other elements that require high material rigidity
- Producing low-volume production parts with unique structural elements and a requirement for enhanced structural strength in a single direction
Nylon 12CF is available on the Fortus 450mc 3D Production System and requires an updated version of Insight software.